Tuesday, July 5, 2011

It Can Happen In Any Family

D2L Sexual Abuse Awareness Banner

So I have decided to start a blog. I figured it was the best thing to do to help promote my upcoming book as well as give readers an opportunity to get to know me and my thoughts better. With that said, I wasn’t sure what I should make this first blog post about. So many options to choose from, but I decided I would make it about something I feel is extremely important and needs to be discussed more often: Sexual Abuse. I feel as if this is a major issue that happens a lot more than we realize. Studies show that 1 out of every 4 girls will be sexually abused before she turns 18. That’s not even including how often it happens on the male side. It is such an unfortunate thing, but we make it worse by not creating an environment that allows victims to speak out.


I personally have never been abused, but I have heard so many stories, and have met so many people that have unfortunately experienced this. We need to talk to each other and especially our children about this issue more often. We should not turn a blind eye and assume that this could never happen in your family. Studies show that more than 90% of the abusers are people the victim knows, loves, or trusts. Also, understand that this is not just about children. There are adults also being sexually abused, and this also is unfortunate and unacceptable. I don’t have the cure for this problem, but I do acknowledge that by talking more about the subject and being open to the idea that this can happen to anybody can help in possibly reducing the frequency of this crime. At the least it can help give victims the strength to speak out, thus beginning the healing process from this traumatizing experience. For more information on Sexual Abuse awareness you can go to www.darknesstolight.org and take a step towards educating yourself, your children, and your families on this very important issue.

0 comments:

Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com

Post a Comment